Sunday, July 19, 2009

"Twin Terrors"

Or did I mean "Terroir"

This native Californian wants to still believe in the Pinot "Wine Dream" I mean I waived the white flag years ago to Bordeaux when it came to those varietals. Why can't they just give us this one.

I want to thank my wine friend Peter from Vinatero Wine Shop for allowing me a taste of these 2 beautiful 2003 Burgundies. Terroir is exactly what they expel. "Hands over fists". Both wines produced by Domaine Michel Gros show very different characteristics. The Nuits Saint Georges showed heavy Cranberry flavors with very sharp Tannins while the Chambolle Musigny had a more familiar forest floor character similar to some Californian and Oregon wines plus a heavy lingering finish. Both wines had the perfume aromas of flowers, cherries that I would be able to distinguish blind. Yep! That is a pinot!

I have always said that I have very limited experience with wines produced in Burgundy. Pinot is just a grape that I only found recently in the last 5 years fun and exciting to pair meals with.

Can this Native Californian be swayed to the "Dark Side" of France once more?? Thank god that I have an open mind and palette for just those things. There really isn't a wine that I hate. It is just the fact that to enjoy a real good bottle of wine from any country, is to focus your attention on what may or may not taste great with the wine in question. Some Coq Au vin, lightly poached Salmon or stuffed mushroom caps will do just fine.

"Viva Le France"

Cheers!!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't tried any Burgundy's but do enjoy a good Pinot from CA.

    I think I'll have to focus on some French bottles and see!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete