Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Attack of The Mermaids

"Legend"
To: Grandmother Jerry - Big Anitra and Baby Anitra
thank you so much for making my day fun and making me smile remembering some great family moments!
A legend is a narrative of human actions that are perceived both by teller and listeners to take place within human history. Is Heidi Peterson Barrett a legend. I have mentioned her name before. Yeah! something about how the women of wine rule the world.
Today I was fortunate to taste 2 of Heidi's wines. Her 2007 Moscato Azul - Muscate Canelli and her 2005 Napa Valley Syrah. I met Mrs Peterson 2 years ago at a tasting in Los Angeles. She herself was pouring the wines at the event which I attended with my big brother. Of course as we approached her booth, I wasn't even aware of who I was meeting. Just another wine maker pouring there wines. No!!!!!!! My big brother had to put me in my place and tell me just a little of her history. Okay the biggest part of her past history, which was her being winemaker for Screaming Eagle. Yeah!! That Screaming Eagle!! That is something you better learn if you are a wine buff or historian. Either way I was thrown back on how approachable Mrs. Barrett was in speaking about her wines then. A class act that needs no introduction to this wine lover ever again.... Fast forward 2 years later and nothing has changed. Mrs Barrett's wines are still a home run.
The First wine I tasted was her Napa Valley Syrah. Dark ruby color in the glass with aromas of Dark Chocolate, Currants and raspberry jam. On the palate perfectly integrated tannins with great length. Pure intense fruit flavors come forward. I was more impressed this time around with this wine then I was 2 years ago when Mrs Barrett poured the wine herself to me. Overall this wine is a winner.
The second wine tasted was the 2007 Moscato Azul. This is a Dry Muscat Canelli. I really don't have much experience with this grape varietal other than the sweet variety. Which I don't really like! That being said, tasting this wine makes you think of so many lingering sweet grape varietals like Riesling, Viognier, Pinot Gris. All of whom I do love very much. The wine appears almost white in the glass. Strong Peach and flower influences on the nose. On the palate come small hints of sweetness and lots of the same characteristics from the nose of peach and tropical fruit with hints of vanilla. The wine is very clean and crisp which would make it pair so well with sweet shell fish. Both wines can be purchased at Vinatero Wine shop. www.vinaterowineshop.com
Today I tasted 2 wines produced from a "LEGEND".
Tomorrow I shall wish I can drink more!
Give Them A Try!
Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Cool labels! The Syrah sounds delicious!

    Great post... Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. John:
    I love your blog! Thank you for thinking of us it was so genuine! We had such a great time with you yesterday. I'm truly touched that you though of us. It was such a great wine yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, now I have to go and get me some Sirena!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did the Heidi Barrett dinner at Bistro 45.
    Good Wines, the favorite was the Barrett Syrah.
    Search it out. Big, Dark and Brooding.

    ReplyDelete