Thursday, July 23, 2009

Twin Killers!

Did Someone say "Terroir" Again?

As a wine lover it is always so much fun tasting new wines from fellow wine lovers and hearing the story of how they come to love this winery and there wines. My thanx again to my friend Jon for telling the tale of Dumol and how he fell in love with this small boutique winery and there wines.

The first bottle of Dumol I ever tasted was a gift that Jon had given me. It was the 2005 Russian River Pinot. I took the wine up to Central Coast last year to celebrate my 40th birthday. I wasn't really sure if I would even open the bottle, but a very interesting moment happened while tasting wines at Tantara Winery with the owner and winemaker. http://www.tantarawinery.com/ I allowed them to taste the Dumol wine blind. The owner Bill Cates instantly stuck his nose in the glass and said "Russian River" and also mentioned that it was either 04 or 05 Vintage. They didn't guess the winery correct but knowing that they got Russian River right tells me again that California is developing a "Terrior" of there own. Ever since then I try really hard to remember those certain blackberry and plum flavors plus the earthy characters of mushroom, nutmeg, and star anise.

The 2006 Dumol Pinot Noir - Finn delivered on all those points. These are flavors that I believe represent the Terrior of The Russian River Valley. The aromas and flavors that stick in my mind since that day in Central Coast. This wine is the Estate Single Vineyard release while the wine I had last year was the spring release Pinot that is more affordable. Big bold flavors and aromas are what to expect when drinking any Russian River Wine.

The 2007 Dumol Chardonnay is also no exception. This wine was another beautiful gift from my friend Jon. Jon allowed me to choose either the pinot or the Chardonnay and since I had already tasted the Spring release Pinot last year. I decided on the Chardonnay. I have said it before that I am really not a big Chardonnay guy not to mention that California has a way of over-oaking there wines to the point of tasting nothing else. Few great Chardonnays come to my mind. Of course Tantara and Rombauer, are just a few that I love. The Dumol falls into that almost there category for me. The wine has Crisp acids with lemon, orange and nectarine notes. On the palate come tons of citrus again with a good lingering finish. What didn't come screaming threw more than I wanted were those butter undertones that I have come to love soooo much in certain chardonnays. Perhaps I should of aged this wine a bit more, but like my friend Jon I too have a wife that loves Chardonnay and this was the bottle of her choice for a quiet night of movie watching and popcorn at home. Either way Dumol is a solid producer of very limited wines and I look forward to continue tasting them in the near future.

Thank you again wine buddy!!

Cheers

2 comments:

  1. As you may already know, I am definitely a huge fan of the RRV! Can't beat the quality for the price!

    Happy Wine Weekend!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always a pleasure to share wine with one as enthusaistic and knowledgeable as you. May we have the chance to do it over and over again....

    ReplyDelete