Saturday, July 18, 2009

Shhhhhhhh! I like Beer too!

I recently got invited to attend a meeting of the Long Beach Homebrewers Club. They are a members club based out of the city of Long Beach that gets together once a month to taste beers and share there recipes. All the beers are handcrafted by Home Brewers. Good friends of mine Monica and John whom are both home brewers themselves thought I would get a kick on how passionate these people are about making beer as any experts are about producing quality wines. Of course everybody knows me as a "Wino" and not a beer guy. But lets face it; alcohol is a "Gateway Drug" You always start with some cheap beer, wine, tequila or whiskey, then you move on up the ladder to bigger and better things and I don't mean narcotics. Beer was just my first choice for a legal drink in my early days. Budweiser (yeah I said it), then some Canadian beer like Moosehead.
Nowadays if I am really in the mood for an ice cold beer, I go straight for the Micro-Brew stuff like Stone or Lagunitas. Watching all the Beer aficionados pour and get up there and talk about there products that night was really neat. They all shared there recipes for the beers they produced that day. We all got a taste of each and everyone. Like some wines, some of the beers were just not my style, but it was so much fun getting to try so many different ones that night.
Sometimes I wonder how much fun it would be to make my own wine. Yeah there are services out there that let you buy some fruit and a kit to help you in the process right in your garage, but I am talking about owning the land and farming it. Then seeing the fruits of your labor in the bottle. I will stop dreaming now and leave that hard work to the experts while I continue to drink them.
Then again I do love to cook! and some beer brewing kits are under $100 bucks.
Thanx Monica and John! Now I just might get an itch that I have to scratch.
Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. I am not afraid to admit....

    I enjoy Miller Lite! There I said it and now I feel much better! :)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete