Friday, July 17, 2009

"Cheers"

The 6740
6740 Greenleaf Ave. Whittier, California

From the first time I ever walked into this little pub in uptown Whittier over 8 years ago till yesterday. Only it's interior has changed, but the lifetime of memories, friends and clients will live on for the rest of my life. Lets face it! I am a social butterfly! My best friend Jr. Duarte and I use to find places to meet after a long day working just to hang out. Several different places we frequented from West Covina to El Monte. Then came the day when my buddy was working at an office in the City Whittier back in 2001. He called me up and said "Hey! I found this little pub on Greenleaf that is really kool. You gotta come down and check it out one day." Sometime later that week Jr called me again and said I am chillin in Whittier watching the Dodger game. Come on down and I will buy you a beer! Hey!! I can't turn down a free drink and it was a slow day anyway. Why not! I still remember the first words uttered to me by Mike Kachoeff who is one of the owners of The 6740. I walked in wearing a New York Yankee baseball cap and he told me that if I was gonna be wearing that I had to leave. Thanx Mike for being brutally honest!

Pubs like the 6740 are an anomaly. Whether it is the tight knit community of Whittier that makes this place special or just the fact that 3 Gentleman, Mike, Dave and Audi just have the knack for welcoming anybody into there home like family. I have never left now for over 8 years. I have gone on a camping trip with Dave. I have played golf and drank wine with Mike! I even have a close connection with Audi! We are both Cubanos. Three business owners that I now consider close friends.

So many memories stand out for me here like my 35th birthday party! The big giant card signed by many that my wife got the day she was having surgery for Uterine Cancer or the day I cracked the seal on a box of Montecristo #4 Cigars from Cuba right at the bar and passed them out to anybody who wanted them to honor my mother passing away just 2 days before.

The friends and clients I have made here. Russ, Todd, Ed, Big John, Steve C., Terry, little Joe, Marc, Tony, Mr Baley, and Martin to name just a few. They all have different stories to tell about this little Pub as I have done, but there is always a "hello! How are you" every time I step foot in here.

Great owners and Great friends! These are the reasons that I come all the way out from El Monte just to sit back in a chair, have an ice cold glass of Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball or Stone IPA and relax the rest of my day away. You always wish you could find a friendly neighborhood bar where everybody knows your name! Yeah I am a kid of the 80's! I saw the show!


I believe that I have done just that.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! Love the story and the history!

    I'd love to hang out at this place... I really need to move! :)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete