Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A salute to the Troops!



My long long weekend was very fun in regards to wine drinking because I cooked and cooked and cooked some more for 3 days straight. I really didn't mind. I have a big big love for making a mess in the kitchen as my wife always says. Plenty of visitors were over so I went with some really trusted wines that are really really good values.

The wines I drank for my Memorial Monday were Morgan Wines:

2006 Syrah Monterey
2006 Cotes du Crow's

The wines are a perfect value in tough economic times. Both wines are under $20.00 per bottle. The Fruit is harvest from either Santa Lucia Highlands or Monterey vineyards. They also produce several other varietals like Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris, and Pinot Noir. They do produce single vineyard Chardonnay's and Pinot's. There prices are a bit higher ranging from $44.00 to $85.00 per bottle.

The 2006 Syrah Monterey has the deep black/purple color associated with Syrah. Aromas of Black Cherry, Licorice and Coffee with pepper on the finish. I did pick up this wine marked down from $22.00 to $19.99. It is a great value at this price.

The 2006 Cotes du Crow's is a blend of 55% Syrah and 45% Grenache. I do love Rhone blends in general but one can still taste the qualities of each grape with this blend. Beautiful ruby red color in the glass with aromas of Violets, strawberries, pepper and mint. A versatile food wine, that is easy to enjoy. You should be able to find these wines at local wine shops or big name stores. Give them a try.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the great suggestions... I love Rhone blends too! :)

    ReplyDelete