Saturday, May 16, 2009

"Raise A Glass to Honor Robert Mondavi"

Whether you love him or hate him. There is no denying that Robert Mondavi was one of the driving forces in putting California Wines on the map. Today is the 1 year anniversary of his death. I drove out this morning to Hollywood with my big brother. We were headed to a Wine Shop that my brother really wants to work at to buy a very exclusive Cabernet that they were listing in there newsletter. The 2005 Kathryn Kennedy "Lateral" was sold out when we got there, so I ended up picking 2004 Freemark Abby Napa Cabernet instead. http://www.freemarkabbey.com/ I needed a California Cabernet for a tasting that I am doing with a friend of mine on Tuesday. I have had this wine before, it is a very Bordeaux style wine which should make for a very interesting tasting on Tuesday.

Any winery from any part of California owes a debt to Robert Mondavi. It really is one of the reasons that so many wineries flourish today from our great state. Do I believe we make the very best wines in the world here in California?? Actually I don't!! Old World wines still appeal to me a bit more. But! Robert Mondavi had a vision and California will always continue to show great growth in the Wine Industry forever.

Cheers to you Mr. Mondavi!

I guess I better crack the 1996 30Th anniversary Reserve Cabernet in 9 more years on this day to honor you.

1 comment:

  1. Great post and good luck with the site!
    That Reserve Cab will be well with the wait! :)

    Cheers to you and Mr. Mondavi!

    ReplyDelete