Tuesday, June 16, 2009

What!!!!! A Chardonnay from Argentina

I just don't like Chardonnay!!!

If I plan a dinner party. Usually it will be 3 courses. A starter of fish or salad. A main Course of meat and a dessert. For me Chardonnay is a hard grape varietal to pair a starter with. My preference is a Sauvignon Blanc, Albarino or Viognier. They just go so much better with shell fish or a salad with a homemade vinaigrette. Sometimes I think the reason is because I was just so spoiled early on tasting white Burgundy's. The French have a way of getting perfect balance in there white wines especially white burgundy. That being said, I have to continue to look in the mirror and say!!
"I AM A WINO" "I AM A WINO"

I must taste more Chardonnay. My preferential Chardonnay leans more toward the butter scale then the mineral scale. I feel if the wine has to much Oak it starts to taste to much like a Sauvignon Blanc or Viognier. BUT!! If the wine is a true "BUTTER BOMB" it becomes un-drinkable. It's a balance game! Oh yeah! This is why I don't like this varietal. In California the style usually is over oak the wines. Lots of new oak will hide the imperfections of the wine. There are some good California Chardonnays out there, don't get me wrong, but prepare to pay threw the nose.

So my quest is to seek out other alternatives that won't break my bank account. But Argentina??? Huh? Well I am not gonna say it is the best Chardonnay you will ever have, but when I tasted this wine I was pleasantly surprised at just how good and balanced it was. Argentina is not an area I usually think of for white wines. Hell! I am barely starting to try more Malbec wines from the area.
The 2007 Catena Chardonnay is harvested from 3 distinct vineyards on the property. They each have different altitudes. The Catena family explains that in blending from the 3 the wine gains a balance of tropical fruit, citrus and minerality. This wine does exactly that. I was very pleased with the balance of both butter and mineral on this wine. The wine does see 35% new french oak, but does not come off showing to much of the wood components. Overall it was a good fine and a wine that I wouldn't mind pairing a roast chicken with.

The best part was the price. $18.99 per is a solid deal for this wine. I purchased it at my favorite wine shop. Vinatero Wine Shop in Whittier California. http://www.vinaterowineshop.com/
The wines importer is Winebow, Inc. in New Jersey!

Give it a try!

Cheers

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I have ever tried a Chard from Argentina but this one sounds worth a try! I really like the idea of using grapes from 3 different elevations to achieve the right blend.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a lot like you when it comes to Chardonnay!
    For whites I prefer Pinot Grigio and 'dry' Riesling.
    However I just recently tried and reviewed a great California Chard from Clos du Bois.
    http://www.whywineblog.com/2009/05/why-wine-joeshico-wine-review-clos-du_31.html

    I am also looking for new ones. This one sounds great. I'll be looking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is worth looking for at $18.99! The importer is from the east coast. So you might be able to find some out that way.

    ReplyDelete