Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Can Someone Tell me Where to find New Zealand Cuisine

2006 Craggy Range Single Vineyard Pinot Noir
A really knowledgeable Wine Guy that I know mentioned to me how he went on a trip to Australia and finally understood the wines from there after he paired them with the local cuisine. I can believe that!! Kangaroo steaks with big bold Syrah! Hmmmmm maybe!

The wines from New Zealand can fall into that category. I have never really understood there biggest seller. Sauvignon Blanc which is one of my favorite varietals. They definitely have a very distinctive aroma and mouth feel. Pinot's are starting to make a name for themselves as well.

I tasted the Craggy Range 2006 Single vineyard Pinot last week along side with 2 other Pinot's. The Halleck Estate and the 2007 Kosta Browne Sonoma Coast! The Craggy Range wasn't a disappointment. It was just so much different then the other 2 wines. I tell myself that I have to continue to taste wines over and over and not fall into 1 country or style. The Craggy Range did have beautiful flower notes but it also carried heavy citrus aromas that I am just not too familiar with. On the palate some good amounts of Cherry come thru but also heavy amounts of smoke and wood. These wines I am not sure if they should be layed down for a few years or if they just require the right type of cuisine. I will continue to think about what the perfect pairing might be. Especially since more and more Pinot's are coming from this island nation.

I am not sure what Los Angeles shops might carry Craggy Range Wines. But Give them a try if you dare!~

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. I tried a New Zealand Pinot and found it actually quite enjoyable! I'll have to try this one to see how it compares... great post! :)

    ReplyDelete