Monday, June 29, 2009

One of the Best!

We always try and have fun when we drink wine. My brother pictured above last year with our France Vs. United States war. We tasted the wine while we ate our dinner. France won the war with the food. That always seems to happen, but the good ole USofA came back with a fire around 2 hours after the wine was open. Ah yes it's Monte Bello and that bottle always delivers.

Lets Just say I have NEVER EVER had a bad bottle of Ridge Monte bello. I have had several vintages of Monte bello with a few still in my collection. Never has it disappointed. 5 stars all the way. Never is Monte Bello sold as a Cabernet being that the blend always changes. Yes it is a Bordeaux blend with every year being different. The years of experience that surround Ridge come full forward in the production of this wine.


But Friday I drank 2006 Ridge Geyserville Zinfandel and the wine came out a little flat. Yeah my brother and I drank it pretty fast and towards the end the wine was waking up a bit. But overall this wine which I have had in the past did not deliver completely. Ridge zinfandel's are actually a blend with the Geyserville having 70% Zinfandel - 18% Carignane - 10% Petite Sirah and 2% Mataro. Typically the blend works to perfection with the other varietals lifting up the wine. Not fast enough this time!! Zinfandel is not a grape that I have tons of experience with or even love all that much, but Ridge Vineyards has been around for a long time, and this wine lover has to ranks them up there as one of the best. There zinfandel's are pretty solid. East Bench or Lytton Springs I have also tasted in the past. They will deliver those Zin Characteristics you love like smoke and tangy fruit on the finish!
Keep blending your wines Ridge, Don't worry! I will keep drinking them when I can get my hands of them.
Give them a try!
Cheers

2 comments:

  1. Ducru Beaucaillou... Nice!

    Where did you get that fine bottle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! I'll have to get my hands on a bottle!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete